Vegan Apple Pie
The holiday season is such a fulfilling time. It’s an opportunity to enjoy moments with our loved ones while dining on great food. Nothing compliments a good meal like a well-made dessert. Apple pie is typically a dessert that is served all year round. But, we’re all about switching things up and stepping outside of the traditional, Thanksgiving pie recipes. This vegan-friendly apple pie recipe is an original by our friends at Food to Live. It’s so delicious and easy to make. No one will be able to tell that it’s vegan and will be a favorite at your next holiday dinner or potluck.
Cook time: 1 hour | Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, with more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, cubed and chilled
- 6 tablespoons of ice water
Ingredients for Filling:
- 7 granny smith apples
- 2 cups sugar, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
To Make the Crust:
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter one at a time. Use a fork to work it into the flour mixture until it breaks down into dime-sized pieces.
- Slowly add the ice water, mixing just until the dough can press together. Separate the dough in half, then mold it into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Peel and core the apples and cut into thin slices.
- Place slices in a large bowl and add 2 cups of sugar, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, salt, and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix until the apples are evenly coated, then set aside.
To Make the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F.
- Dust a little bit of flour on a flat surface and roll dough discs to about 1 inch thick. Place one round into a greased 8-inch pie dish and carefully press the bottom and sides. Trim the extra dough from the edges and prick the entire bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Scoop the apples into the bottom crust and cover with the other dough round.
- Trim the extra dough from the edge and crimp the top and bottom of the crust together using a fork.
- Brush the top crust with the last tablespoon of coconut oil. Sprinkle with last of the sugar and cinnamon, then slice 4 small slits in the top crust.
- Bake until the crust becomes golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.