Fattoush Salad with Bulgur, Feta, and Pita Chips
It's a new year and a whole new decade. It's time we start thinking about our diets and healthy eating. But who says that we can't enjoy a healthy meal without incorporating some of our favorites? We love all things crunchy, especially when it comes to salads and snack foods. We've become obsessed with the Middle Eastern fattoush salad because it combines two terrifically crunchy ingredients: romaine lettuce and pita chips! Our version also features sumac-roasted chickpeas, feta cheese, and a lemon herb dressing. Meet your new salad soul (or should we say bowl?) mate.
- 4 Servings
- 35 mins Total cook time
- Beginner Skill level
- 1/4 ounce mint
- 1/4 ounce parsley
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 Persian cucumbers
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 4 pita breads
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup + .5 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Rinse all produce. Roughly chop or tear mint and parsley leaves, discarding stems and keeping herbs separate. Halve tomatoes. Halve cucumbers lengthwise, then cut crosswise into .5-inch half-moons. Pat romaine dry with paper towel. Halve lemon. Rinse chickpeas.
- Season boiling water generously with salt. Stir in bulgur and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a fine-mesh sieve, drain bulgur and spread on a plate to cool—this helps the grains cool faster, so they don't wilt the lettuce (see Recipe Tip).
- On a baking sheet, toss chickpeas with half of sumac, 1.5 tablespoon olive oil, .5 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Arrange in a single layer and roast until crisp, 15-20 minutes.
- While chickpeas roast, cut pita breads into 1-inch pieces and place on a separate baking sheet (pro tip: stack the pitas to cut them all at once). Drizzle over 3 tablespoons olive oil, season with .5 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired, and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer and toast in oven, with chickpeas, until golden and crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- While pita chips toast, in a large bowl, whisk together Champagne vinegar, harissa, parsley, juice of 1 lemon, remaining sumac, .25 cup olive oil, .5 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired to combine. Cut or tear romaine into bite-size pieces and add to bowl with dressing along with feta, mint, tomatoes, and cucumber. Toss to coat, taste, and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add roasted chickpeas, bulgur, and pita chips to bowl with salad and toss to combine. Transfer fattoush salad to serving plates and dig in!
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.